Sunday, July 22, 2007

Eriksson's sign Geovanni

(News from soccernet.com)

Brazilian attacker Geovanni believes his experience with Barcelona and Benfica will stand him in good stead as he looks forward to fulfilling his 'dream' of playing in England.

The former Barcelona player, who has four caps for his country, has agreed a one-year deal with Manchester City

The 27-year-old becomes Sven-Goran Eriksson's third signing since taking the reins, following striker Rolando Bianchi and midfielder Gelson Fernandes

Geovanni, who cost around £11million when he moved to the Nou Camp in 2001, last played for Brazilian side Cruzeiro but had a trial at Portsmouth earlier this summer, scoring in a 2-0 friendly win against Yeovil.

He passed a medical at City's Carrington training complex on Tuesday and will link up with his new team-mates when they return from their Swedish tour.

'I think I've got some good experience having played at Barcelona and Benfica, and having played for a few years in Europe I think I'm ready to play in the Premier League,' he told the club's website.

'It's been a dream for me to play in England, and this is a dream as well to come to a club like Manchester City.

'It's great to be here after playing in Europe for a few years already, and I can't wait to get started.

'Playing in England has been an ambition of mine, I watched a lot of Premier League games when I was at Benfica and now that I'm here I just want to start playing.'

City fans may have fond memories of their new signing after he scored for Portuguese side Benfica against local rivals Manchester United in 2005 - a goal that contributed to the Red Devils' Champions League exit.

'That was a special night for me and for Benfica, and I'm hoping to get more goals like that now that I'm here at City,' he continued.

Geovanni also scored once in his short Brazil career, against Bolivia, and found the net 17 times in 94 games during his time at Benfica.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home