Friday, January 13, 2006

Real Madrid deny Cole move

MADRID (AFP) - Spanish giants Real Madrid denied reports linking them with a move for Arsenal defender Ashley Cole.

It had been reported that the Spanish outfit were targetting the 25-year-old England international as a replacement for Brazil's Roberto Carlos.

But Real said in a statement: "The club wishes to clarify that at no time has Real Madrid confirmed via any official spokesman that it has made a move for Ashley Cole or any other player."

It added: "Due to the excellent and fluid relations which exist between Arsenal and Real Madrid, the English club would always be first to know of any possible interest regarding any of its players."

Cole had stressed that he was focusing on regaining full fitness.

He said: "I've three years left on my contract at Arsenal and I'm looking forward to playing in the new stadium.

"The speculation has been in every paper since the start of the season, but there's nothing I can do, people are going to write stories.

"My main aspiration at the moment is to try and get back fit, that and trying to win things with Arsenal."

Carlos added: "This type of speculation does not affect me, because Real always have to look for the best players."

"I've a contract for two more seasons, with the last year being an option which is down to me," added Carlos who joined Real from Inter Milan in 1996.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home